To calculate capital gains tax, you can use our capital gains tax calculator blow:
If you want to calculate by hand, here are the steps:
- Determine your capital proceeds. This is everything you received from selling the asset.
- Work out the asset’s cost base. This includes purchase price plus certain legal and selling costs.
- Deduct the cost base from proceeds. The result is the capital gain amount.
- Apply the CGT discount if eligible. Individual taxpayers get a 50% discount on select assets held longer than 12 months.
- Apply current year or carry forward prior year capital losses to reduce the capital gain.
- Add any indexed capital gain amounts to your assessable income on your tax return.
Keep records of purchase and sale dates/prices, incidental costs, and the asset’s description. Consult the TAX123 if you’re unsure. Proper calculations help you maximize deductions and avoid tax trouble down the line. Contact us if you need help with a capital gains calculation.